06 May 2005

The NYT is Stalking Me

Seriously. The Times' travel section is totally stalking me. First, as noted here, they do an article on California's "Lost Coast," and now, in their 36 Hours in Memphis (registration req.), their very first suggestion is a stop at Payne's Barbeque.

I once drove 500 miles to eat lunch a pork sandwich at Payne's. Well, actually, two pork sandwiches. One chopped hot, one chopped mild.

The hot one was better, but both still rank in the top 5 of things I have ever put in my mouth. Was it worth the 500-mile drive? Well, I was on my way across the country, so I would have been making the drive anyway, but I forced myself to wait and eat lunch at about 3 PM (after not having any breakfast when I woke up in Bristol, TN that morning) and every hunger pang was absolutely, 100%, worth the final payoff.

The place was totally empty except for me and the older couple who run the joint. I stepped up to the counter, ordered my sandwiches and a coke, and ate them in about 60 seconds flat.

I was sorely tempted to get a couple more to go (they were cheap cheap cheap-- 2 or 3 bucks each, at most), but there was no way I'd have been able to eat them in the car without covering myself in delicious, delicious pork.

Damn, just thinking about it makes me hungry for good BBQ, but since I'm trapped in suburban Pennsylvania for the next 9 weeks, I think I'm pretty much out of luck on the 'cue front.

Alas.

Perhaps if I actually had any readers I could get some suggestions, but since I don't, I'll just have to make my own damn food.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If NYT is stalking you, then, you should use your power wisely... The next big lifestyle trend could be coming out of suburban PA.

~Think~ what fun you could have with them/us!!!

06 May, 2005 18:38  
Blogger dersins said...

Well, "anonymous," I can tell you've never been to suburban pennsylvania....

07 May, 2005 05:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I have not yet been to suburban PA, but I am so confident in your ability to peg "the next big thing" that I will be visiting straightaway.

07 May, 2005 16:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home